Updated scam advice for residents (charity worker scams)
Stadhampton Parish Council
Oxfordshire residents have been warned to be on their guard against criminals and scammers exploiting the coronavirus situation.
Some scammers are claiming to be charity workers, offering assistance with shopping, or requesting donations.
Here are some tips from the Trading Standards team on how to check charity workers are genuine:
How to check if they are genuine:
- Check the charity’s name and registration number at gov.uk/checkcharity. Most charities with an annual income of £5,000 or more must be registered.
- Make sure the charity is genuine before giving any financial information – it’s ok to decide not to give on the spot. Be wary of unsolicited emails from charities you have never heard of and be careful when responding to emails or clicking on links within them.
- Exercise the same caution as with any other internet transaction, for example, to donate online. Visit the charity’s own website and always type the website address into the browser yourself.
- Contact or find out more online about the charity that you’re seeking to donate to or work with, to find out more about their spending. Ask a trusted friend, neighbour or relative if you are unable to research this or need a second opinion.
- Ignore requests to donate through a money transfer company.
Full details and advice from the Trading Standards team here:
- 01865 238655
Find Stadhampton Parish Council
Nelhurst Cottage, Copson Lane, Stadhampton, Stadhampton, Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX44 7TZ